Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Norse Myths


I stayed up late playing the new X-box 360 game "Too Human". Although the game has some beautiful effects and decent story telling it made me wonder something.


Norse Myths are becoming chic. With several talks about Thor movies and cartoons in the last couple of years (Fabio, Loki the Rat, and now a mainstream movie in the works) I wonder how they can do it without making it a joke.


You see, I've studied Odinism for several years now and although the majority of mythology fell out before the dark ages and was inked by Christian Scholars afterwards, things like Marvel comics "The Mighty Thor" and games like "Viking" and "Too Human" are moderately popular and bringing new generations into Viking (Northern Mythology). Going back to my point, with this high dollar Thor concept movie coming out, how serious will it be? Will Thor speak in Olde English and piss the audience off with enough thees and thys to be cringe worthy?


I guess my fear is this movie will be the equivalent of an armed kick-ass Jesus or a raging carnivorous Buddha (yeah, I'm working on that last one).


Hopefully the writers are willing to do research on the character and not make him too campy.

My other point: although "Too Human" was a beautiful game, the main character Balder, was a god of light and love. Essentially a Jesus character made by the Northerners to fight off the coming Christian missionaries. I think it's funny with the entire pantheon of Norse heroes and gods they went with the one that was the most into peace . . .and armed him to the teeth.


Needless to say, I've penned my own "Thor Lives" book called "Hell to Pay" and are currently shopping for agents. I have some great ideas for viral videos if this ever takes off that I could tie to my storm chasing.


Thanks for your time, and I would entertain any response.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know there is a growing faith movement called by several names (Odinism, Asatru, For Tru, and the "encompassing" term of just Heathenry, which I prefer). I'm a ordained priest (called a Godhi) through one of the larger international organizations (The Troth www.thetroth.com, another that is good is the AFA (http://www.runestone.org/).

Odinism, as you chose to call it though that use tends toward more conservative viewpoints and often used in reference to Prison kindreds/groups, takes much of the "popular" views with a grain of salt. However, the Thor movie will be something we want handled well. It is said to happen mostly in Asgard. If so then they need to adher closely to Eddas (Poetic and Prose).

As to Balder being a creation of the ancestors in relation to the desert faiths Christ ... I would disagree. He was cast as such by those same Xtians trying to convert the people. His name literally translates as Brave or Bold. He is the paragon of the young active warrior. Just as his father, Odin, represented the "priest-king" his son represented the "heroic prince." After Ragnarök, he is to take up his father's mantel and role. This role would not be a "christ-like" role but but much more tribal leader or chieftain role and thus Balder is about learning and representing many of those skills.

Saxo Grammaticus paints a much different picture, once more akin to other sagas.

Anyroad, if you are interested in learning more about the modern reconstruction faith of heathenry there are many good resources. Currently, one of the *best* is called "Our Troth" (http://tinyurl.com/6hy4ek) which covers a great deal of not only the past with well researched and academically sound presentation but also goes into how modern heathens are reconstructing the faith to address modern views, ethics, and morals.

I'll also gladly answer any questions you may have or direct you to someone who can answer them if I cannot.

Brian Johnson said...

Hey, Rod. It's me, Wichita Brian.