Saturday, January 9, 2010

Hell to Pay: What a great strange trip it's been


There is a crazy journey writers take, called trying to get published.


I've had some success with anthologies in short stories and poetry, but #3 on the bucket list is getting a novel published.

"Hell to Pay" wasn't a simple project, it started with Bob and I telling bad puns. It took 2 1/2 years to write while learning how to craft a novel, and eight edits. Thank you Gordon and Brainstormers (Gary, Tonya, Julie, Courtney, Michelle, and Denise). Some of the darkest parts in the novel came from Denise telling me I wasn't trying hard enough.
It's tough, I've tried pitching to agents and editors only to get form letter rejections, but a year ago that changed. I started getting written responses. In the authors that I've talked to, that is a big step forward.

On a whim, I found a contest for unpublished novels by Dorchester and Chizine. I tried it out. Now, I'm in the top ten getting ready to start a six month contest that will test the limits of my patience and the ability of my liver.

Voting will start January 16th (around then) and will go for a month on http://www.chizine.com/. People can vote on the best first chapters. I will probably breathe my panic here and on facebook. As mentioned before the novel is number three on the bucket list.


Brian's Bucket List


#1 is have a posse of little people (dwarves, midgets, I'm equal opportunity)

#2 be able to shoot lightning from my fingertips and wear a cloak everywhere while people bow and mutter "Hail to you, Dark Emperor".

#3 Publish a novel

As time goes on and I'm sure no one is reading, I may post more.
2010 may be looking up.

2 comments:

Welcome! said...

Love the bucket list! Freakin' hilarious...

Denise said...

Are you serious???